Trump being elected has caused lots of turmoil for people surrounding health care, education, immigration, and marriage. Yes, Trump is causing turmoil for those who are immigrants and looking to get married. With their futures uncertain many immigrants, and their American fiancés, are rushing to the altar. Fearing deportation, even though they are here legally, is causing many couples to speed up their marriage plans.
Now rushing a marriage is never a good idea and since you must prove your marriage is legitimate to become a permanent legal resident, anything to the contrary could jeopardize that. However, with many fearing they will separated from the one they love they see no choice. Many are hoping that the marriage will keep their significant other in the country by getting them a green card. Your best bet would be speaking to an immigration lawyer so that you do not do anything to catch the wrath of any new Trump polices.
But, in the meantime, if Trump is forcing you to rethink your marriage plans, here are few point on what you need to know to get a married here in Washington State:
• First and foremost, there is no residency requirement. You do not even have to be a resident of Washington much less a citizen of the United States in order to marry.
• You will need a license and it does cost. The fee for a Washington State marriage license varies by county.
• You must be at least 18.
• You can’t be in too big of rush, there is a mandatory 3 day waiting period for your license.
• If you aren’t in a big rush, good news. Your license is valid for (60) Days.
• Squeamish? No worries, there is no blood test required.
Being an immigrant does not prevent you from marrying. Just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and following the right procedures.